I’m always looking for new recipes to try, especially in the summer when I have more time on my hands. While I absolutely love cooking, long and complicated recipes sometimes end up making me frustrated. Unfortunately, it often seems like quick but healthy recipes are hard to find, but these lettuce wraps definitely fit the bill! They are super easy, full of flavor, and require hardly any work. And on a side note, let me just say how much I adore my slow cooker.
My mother always said it feels like you are cheating the system because you just toss ingredients together in the pot, and voila, dinner is ready in several hours. It makes busy days so much easier. I love these lettuce wraps because they are delicious, but still healthy. With 27 grams of protein and only 190 calories per serving, they are guilt free! They make the perfect summer meal- crisp, cool, and light, yet still filling. Feel free to serve on rice or noodles instead of lettuce wraps, what ever floats your boat.
Slow Cooker Honey Sesame Chicken Lettuce Wraps
adapted slightly from Skinnytaste
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast (I used three large breasts)
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup low-sodium soy sauce (use tamari for gluten free)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, chopped for garnish
- Lettuce for lettuce cups, (I used pre-made cups found in the produce section of the grocery store; romaine, bib, or green leaf will do as well)
- Place chicken in slow cooker and season with black pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, honey, tomato paste, vinegar, garlic, 1 tbsp water, sesame oil, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Pour over chicken and cook on LOW 3-4 hours.
- Remove chicken, leaving sauce in the slow cooker. Shred chicken with two forks; set aside.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1/4 cup water; add to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on HIGH until slightly thickened, about 15-20 minutes. Return chicken to slow cooker and mix well.
Serve in lettuce cups and garnish with sesame seeds and chopped green onion if desired.
Servings: 8 • Serving Size: over 2/3 cup • Old Pts: 4 • Weight Watchers Points+: 4
Calories: 185.5 • Fat: 2 g • Protein: 27 g • Carbs: 13.5 g • Fiber: 0.7 g • Sugar: 10 g
Sodium: 504 mg