In the summer I like to eat cold foods. Smoothies, salads, cold sandwiches, fruit… anything that won’t make me hotter than it is outside (that Texas heat is no joke). I also look for easy meals that can be made ahead or in the morning before heading out for the day. Sometimes turning on that oven or stove just generates way too much heat in the kitchen so recipes that don’t require cooking are definitely a bonus! This sandwich is amazing. And I when I say amazing I mean finger-licking, drool-inducing, worthy of the heavens good. It’s super simple to throw together and you can add or remove ingredients to make it more to your personal liking.
I created the balsamic mayo because I wanted to add some extra pizzazz and boy, it turned out way better than I expected. It seriously bumped the sandwich to a whole new level. I used a heaping tablespoon of Kraft Mayo and 1-2 teaspoons of Newman’s Own Lite Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing (which is one of my go-to faves for salad dressings) and just mixed the two together before spreading it on the bread.
Go forth and make this sandwich. Soon. It’s healthy, easy and did I mention delicious? It’s great for lunch or for family dinner or even a midnight snack. I like to eat it with tortilla chips and salsa or baby carrots and hummus.
Roasted Chicken and Avocado Sandwich
- Two slices of your favorite bread (I used HEB bakery Oui Love French Bread)
- Sliced deli chicken, 3-4 slices (I used Boars Head Everroast Chicken)
- 2 tomato slices, or 6 grape tomatoes, sliced
- One small avocado, sliced
- Balsamic Mayo (see recipe below)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken on one side of bread. I like to tear the slices into smaller pieces and create a layered effect. Place avocado slices on top of chicken. Drizzle mustard on avocado.
- Spread balsamic mayo on remaining slice of bread. Place tomatoes on next, seasoning with salt and pepper if desired.
- Place two sides of the sandwich together and enjoy!
For Balsamic Mayo: Mix together roughly one part mayonnaise and 1/2 part balsamic vinaigrette. Add more mayo if too runny. One tbsp mayo and 1-2 tsp vinaigrette will make enough for 2-3 sandwiches.